Pages

Tuesday 1 September 2015

Bradt/Independent on Sunday Travel Writing Competition 2015

The streets of Havana

The six finalists in The Bradt / Independent on Sunday Travel Writing Competition 2015 were announced last week.  I can't wait to read the winning entry in the Independent on Sunday on 13th September 2015 and will try to post a link to it if I can.

The theme was 'Serendipity', a force of life that never fails to give you a frisson when you encounter it.  You will not be surprised that my entry was set in Havana.

I did not reach the final six, but I am delighted, over the moon and grinning from ear to ear when I tell you that I got a Special Mention.

That means that in "the country's leading travel writing competition" (to quote the Independent on Sunday and big myself up!), one of the judges deliberating at the final judging meeting thought my piece had legs.

Now I won't deny that I would have loved to win an eight day trip to Iceland but a 'Special Mention' is just peachy, thank you.  I adore the whole process of writing, it's how I love to spend my time, but writers write to be read and when someone enjoys what you've written ... well, it's a thrill.

I will be publishing my piece here on Friday 4th September 2015.    

No comments:

Post a Comment